Parramatta Young Christian Students Worker
Fulltime – 2 year appointment
Location: Catholic Diocese of Parramatta, Sydney (YCW House, Granville, NSW 2142)
About the Organisation
The Australian Young Christian Workers (YCW) is a not-for-profit, international, grassroots movement that seeks to serve, educate and represent young people whilst engaging them in action and establishing teams of volunteers to address the issues most affecting young people today. Catholic Social Teachings are at the heart of the Mission of the YCW and the organisation itself, seeks to motivate young leaders within the church, to live out their faith and to find their true vocation. With a particular focus on Young people between the ages of 15-25, the YCW utilises the ‘See, Judge & Act’ method to motivate young people to be in control of their realities. YCW believes in empowering young people to put their faith into action and encourages them to be active members within their communities. We currently have teams in Adelaide, Perth and Sydney and contacts and connections all across Australia.
About the Role
The Parramatta Young Christian Workers (YCW) is seeking a Young Christian Students Worker to work alongside the Parramatta YCW leadership team by supporting the running of existing YCS groups, and developing new YCS groups.
Supporting the running of existing YCS groups, including:
- Regularly attending existing YCS groups to facilitate the formation of all members and the development of leadership skills among key student leaders using the YCS Methodology (Review of Life); and
- Ensure Adult Assistants (AAs) in schools are provided with continual formation and training in their role to support students to run the group in the YCS Methodology.
Developing new YCS groups through:
- Liaising with school personnel to investigate potential for new YCS group;
- Using a systematic plan to introduce, establish and consolidate new YCS groups; and
- Promoting YCS through Diocesan and Community events.
Ensure Parramatta YCS has an active presence in the wider church, social justice, and education community by:
- Developing and maintaining positive relationships with relevant key individuals and organisations;
- Continually seeking opportunities to promote the vision and mission of Parramatta YCS in the wider community; and
- Developing and supporting appropriate social media content on YCS platforms.
To develop and maintain appropriate partnerships with relevant organisations through:
- Working closely with Parramatta YCW as the auspicing body for Parramatta YCS through shared work environment, reporting structures and common vision;
- Liaise closely with the Catholic Diocese of Parramatta to communicate on the work of PYCS and to connect with the work of the Diocese, especially CYP and other youth initiatives; and
- Seek out and foster mutually beneficial partnerships with other community organisations.
To develop and maintain safe and respectful work practices through:
- Working cooperatively with others and maintaining appropriate professional relationships with colleagues;
- Following mandated workplace health and safety procedures; and
- Providing risk assessments for relevant activities.
To be successful in this role you will bring the following qualities and technical experience:
- Ability to relate well with young people and engage them in the movement;
- A commitment to working within a Christian faith based organisation while being inclusive of those from other beliefs;
- Leadership skills and a desire to promote social change;
- Effective written and verbal communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to use initiative, to work independently and in a team environment;
- Working With Children Clearance;
- NSW Drivers Licence;
- First Aid qualification desirable;
- Experience as a leader in the Young Christian Students Movement desirable; and
- Relevant tertiary qualifications (Social Sciences, Education etc.) desirable.
Join our team
Applications must include:
- A cover letter explaining why you are interested in the role and briefly describe your skills, experience and capabilities to undertake this role (maximum 2 pages);
- A current resume; and
- Contact details of 2 professional referees
Please send applications to [email protected]
Applications close 5pm Friday 30 April 2021
Only Candidates with the right to work in Australia and who are prepared to undergo appropriate background checks should apply for this position.
No agency contact please. This position is being managed internally.