A new Holocaust museum located in an historic Church-owned house in Adelaide has been given a $2.5 million boost from the Morrison Government to expand its exhibitions and education program. Source: The Southern Cross.
Treasurer Josh Frydenberg visited the Adelaide Holocaust Museum and Andrew Steiner Education Centre at Fennescey House last week. Mr Frydenberg said the museum was the latest addition to a national network of Holocaust museums to ensure that “every South Australian school child is able to come through and learn about this tragic period in world history and to learn the importance of tolerance and humanity”.
With well-established Jewish museums in Melbourne and Sydney, the Government has also provided $3.5m for a Holocaust museum in Brisbane while Perth’s Jewish Community Centre received funding for a major redevelopment last year.
The Adelaide museum will be officially opened on November 9 prior to the Remembrance of the Shoah Service in St Francis Xavier’s Cathedral, an annual interfaith event instigated by Archbishop Philip Wilson in 2014.
An emotional Andrew Steiner, a Holocaust survivor and artist who has devoted much of his life to educating South Australians about the Holocaust, said, “It’s really an extraordinarily wonderful moment for me to see my dream and vision realised after so many years”.
“Our role here in the museum is to work towards a better, more just, fairer, compassionate world.”
He said his friendship with Archbishop Wilson had been instrumental in the establishment of the museum in Fennescey House and he also expressed his gratitude to Archbishop Patrick O’Regan for the continued support of the Adelaide Archdiocese.
Boost for new Holocaust museum (The Southern Cross)