A Catholic school in Melbourne’s southeast has closed soon after reopening due to a student testing positive to coronavirus. Source: 9news.com.au.
The infected student is understood to be a Year 12 pupil from Nazareth College in Noble Park who sat the General Achievement Test (GAT) last Wednesday.
It comes as majority of Victorian primary students and Year 7s returned to classrooms for the first time since June yesterday.
In a letter to parents, Principal Sam Cosentino said the school had closed for a “precautionary pandemic clean”.
Students who attended classrooms last week have been advised to self-isolate at home while contact tracing occurs.
Education Minister James Merlino said he did not believe there were issues with other students being close contacts.
Premier Daniel Andrews said the school was in his electorate and he had confidence it would be able to open when it was safe to do so.
In other schools across Melbourne, yesterday was a day of celebrations as students returned to the classroom for face-to-face learning, Catholic Education Melbourne reports.
“Our teachers have been doing a tremendous job maintaining learning continuity and caring for the wellbeing of their students in the remote setting,” said Catholic Education Melbourne’s Executive Director, Jim Miles. “They are also looking forward to schools returning to being vibrant and flourishing Catholic learning communities.”
Students in Years 8, 9 and 10 will continue with remote and flexible learning over the next two weeks before returning to the classroom on Monday 26 October.
Melbourne's Nazareth College closes after Year 12 student tests positive to COVID-19 (By Chanel Zagon, 9news.com.au)
Back to class (Catholic Education Melbourne)