An archbishop says he has obtained legal advice about being barred from re-entering Belarus and is counting on Vatican help in correcting the illegal action against him. Source: CNS.
Archbishop Tadeusz Kondrusiewicz, a Belarusian citizen appointed to the Minsk-Mohilev Archdiocese in 2007 after serving as a bishop in Russia, was barred from crossing the border on Monday, the day after his pastoral letter was read at churches. The letter warned of civil war, as security forces confronted demonstrators protesting the declared August 9 election of President Alexander Lukashenko.
Archbishop Kondrusiewicz told Polish Radio in Bialystok on Wednesday that he had often travelled abroad, with required permits, from his archdiocese to attend religious events and conferences and had always been allowed back.
The Church leader said Belarusian law “stated clearly” that a citizen could not be barred from entering his own country, but added that he had received no reply when he wrote on Tuesday to the border service in Minsk, quoting the law and requesting an explanation.
“The problem lies not just in my exclusion, but also in the fact I’m now unable to attend my schedule of services – people are naturally asking how this could have happened,” he said.
A source from the Vatican nunciature in Minsk said yesterday that the arrival of a new nuncio, Archbishop Ante Jozic, appointed in 2019, had been delayed by the coronavirus, ruling out any official statement on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz’s plight.