Four members of the Swiss Guard have tested positive for coronavirus, the Vatican confirmed yesterday. Source: CNA.
Responding to journalists’ questions, Holy See press office director Matteo Bruni said that the four members of the world’s smallest but oldest standing army had been placed in isolation following positive tests at the weekend.
“In these hours, the necessary checks are being carried out among those who may have been in direct contact with them,” he said.
Citing new measures issued last week by the Governorate of Vatican City State, he said all guards would wear face masks both indoors and outdoors, regardless of whether they were on duty. They would also observe all other rules intended to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Mr Bruni added that, in addition to the four members of the corps responsible for protecting the Pope, three other residents or citizens of Vatican City State tested positive for the virus.
All three had mild symptoms and were isolating at home, he said.
Earlier this month, 38 new recruits to the Swiss Guards - known for their distinctive blue, red, orange, and yellow uniforms - were sworn in at a ceremony at the Vatican.
The ceremony usually takes place on or close to May 6, but due to the coronavirus restrictions in Italy at that time, it was moved to October 4. Pope Francis received the new recruits in an audience October 2